Evaluation the Protective Effect of Capparis spinosa Fruits Hydroalcoholic Extract Against Nephrotoxicity Induced by Cisplatin in Rats
The present study was carried out to evaluate the kidney abnormality changes, and nephrotoxicity after using the cisplatine and investigate the protective effect of capparis spinosa fruit extract against these effects and evaluate the kidney function test urea, cratenine, total protein tests and histopathological changes of kidney . Twenty one (21) male rats were randomly divided into three groups (7 rats/ each). First group was received distilled water orally for 10 days and served as control group. Second group was received cisplatin only (10 mg/kg, i.p.) as a single dose at day 8 and served as a cisplatin treated group. Third group, was received capparis spinosa fruit extract (100 mg/kg B.W) for 10 days and 10 mg/kg cisplatin as a single dose at day 8 . The results showed that the animals that treated with cisplatine alone were severed from histopathological changes and significantly increasing in the level of (Urea, Cr and Total protein ). While the third group (that treated with hydroalcoholic extract of capparis spiosa fruit ethanol 70% ) showed decreasing in the histopathplogical changes in kidney , also significantly decrease in the level of (Urea, Cr and Total protein ). In this study csplatine induced histopathplogical changes, alteration and increasing in the level of (Urea, Cr and Total protein ), while the ( hydroalcoholic extract of capparis spiosa fruit ethanol 70% ) was have ability to maintain kidney function test .
2. Kiliś-Pstrusińska, K., & Wiela-Hojeńska, A. (2021). Nephrotoxicity of Herbal Products in Europe—A Review of an Underestimated Problem. International Journal of Molecular Sciences, 22(8), 4132.
3. Wargo, K. A., & Edwards, J. D. (2014). Aminoglycoside-induced nephrotoxicity. Journal of pharmacy practice, 27(6), 573-577.
4. Swati, P. and Rajashekhar, I. (2015). Role of plants as nephroprotective agents. A Review. International Journal of Therapeutic Applications, 26 : 6 – 14.
5. Muhammad Assumaidaee, A. A., Ali, N. M., & Fadhil, A. A. (2022). Effect of Vitamin E as α-Tocopherol Acetate on Mercuric Chloride-Induced Chronic Oxidoreductive Stress and Nephrotoxicity in Rats:The Iraqi Journal of Veterinary Medicine, 43(2), 98–108
6. Ghosh, S. (2019). Cisplatin: The first metal based anticancer drug. Bioorganic chemistry, 88, 102925.
7. Abd El-Kader, M., & Taha, R. I. (2020). Comparative nephroprotective effects of curcumin and etoricoxib against cisplatin-induced acute kidney injury in rats.
8. Li, W., Yan, M. H., Liu, Y., Liu, Z., Wang, Z., Chen, C., ... & Sun, Y. S. (2016). Ginsenoside Rg5 ameliorates cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity in mice through inhibition of inflammation, oxidative stress, and apoptosis. Nutrients, 8(9), 566.
9. Geyikoglu, F., Emir, M., Colak, S., Koc, K., Turkez, H., Bakir, M., ... & Ozek, N. S. (2017). Effect of oleuropein against chemotherapy drug-induced histological changes, oxidative stress, and DNA damages in rat kidney injury. Journal of food and drug analysis, 25(2), 447-459.
10. Salman, A. D. (2014). The Protective role of Pomegranate seed oil (Pometon) on kidney (functional and structural) damage induced by Methionine overload in adult female Rabbits. The Iraqi Journal of Veterinary Medicine, 38(2), 66–73
11. Rakhimova, T., Vaisova, G. B., Rakhimova, N. K., & Matkarimova, A. (2021). Phytocoenotic Distribution of Capparis Spinosa L.(Capparaceae) Under Different Ecological Conditions in Uzbekistan. Annals of the Romanian Society for Cell Biology, 25(6), 7882-7895.
12. Mirzakhani, N., Farshid, A. A., Tamaddonfard, E., Tehrani, A., & Imani, M. (2020). Comparison of the effects of hydroalcoholic extract of Capparis spinosa fruit, quercetin and vitamin E on monosodium glutamate-induced toxicity in rats. Veterinary research forum : an international quarterly journal, 11(2), 127–134.
13. Shahrajabian, M. H., Sun, W., & Cheng, Q. (2021). Plant of the Millennium, Caper (Capparis spinosa L.), chemical composition and medicinal uses. Bulletin of the National Research Centre, 45(1), 1-9.
14. Bakour, M., Campos, M. D. G., Imtara, H., & Lyoussi, B. (2020). Antioxidant content and identification of phenolic/flavonoid compounds in the pollen of fourteen plants using HPLC-DAD. Journal of Apicultural Research, 59(1), 35-41.
15. Grimalt, M., Hernández, F., Legua, P., Almansa, M. S., & Amorós, A. (2018). Physicochemical composition and antioxidant activity of three Spanish caper (Capparis spinosa L.) fruit cultivars in three stages of development. Scientia horticulturae, 240, 509-515.
16. Zhu, P., Wang, Y., & Zhang, X. (2022). Preparation and characterization of electrospun nanofibre membranes incorporated with an ethanol extract of Capparis spinosa L. as a potential packaging material. Food Packaging and Shelf Life, 32, 100851.
17. Mollica, A., Zengin, G., Locatelli, M., Stefanucci, A., Mocan, A., Macedonio, G., ... & Novellino, E. (2017). Anti-diabetic and anti-hyperlipidemic properties of Capparis spinosa L.: in vivo and in vitro evaluation of its nutraceutical potential. Journal of functional foods, 35, 32-42.
18. Al-Birawee, A. R., & Nasser, A. K. (2019). Gel extraction from caper fruits (Capparies spinosa L.) and assess its effectiveness as antioxidants. Basrah Journal of Agricultural Sciences, 32(2), 74-84.
19. Gaona-Gaona, L., Molina-Jijón, E., Tapia, E., Zazueta, C., Hernández-Pando, R., Calderón-Oliver, M., ... & Pedraza-Chaverri, J. (2011). Protective effect of sulforaphane pretreatment against cisplatin-induced liver and mitochondrial oxidant damage in rats. Toxicology, 286(1-3), 20-27.
20. Mirzakhani, N., Farshid, A. A., Tamaddonfard, E., Tehrani, A., & Imani, M. (2020). Comparison of the effects of hydroalcoholic extract of Capparis spinosa fruit, quercetin and vitamin E on monosodium glutamate-induced toxicity in rats. In Veterinary Research Forum (Vol. 11, No. 2, p. 127). Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Urmia University, Urmia, Iran
21. Fehrman‐Ekholm, I., & Skeppholm, L. (2004). Renal function in the elderly (> 70 years old) measured by means of iohexol clearance, serum creatinine, serum urea and estimated clearance. Scandinavian journal of urology and nephrology, 38(1), 73-77.
22. Lockyer, W. J. (2014). Essentials of ABO-Rh Grouping and Compatibility Testing: Theoretical Aspects and Practical Application. Elsevier.
23. Gianazza, E., Miller, I., Palazzolo, L., Parravicini, C., & Eberini, I. (2016). With or without you—Proteomics with or without major plasma/serum proteins. Journal of proteomics, 140, 62-80.
24. Luna, A.G. (1968). Manual of histological staining methods of the armed force institute of pathology. (3rd Ed.). london: Mc Graw Hill Book Co.pp.24-25
25. Assadi, S., Shafiee, S. M., Erfani, M., & Akmali, M. (2021). Antioxidative and antidiabetic effects of Capparis spinosa fruit extract on high-fat diet and low-dose streptozotocin-induced type 2 diabetic rats. Biomedicine & Pharmacotherapy, 138, 111391.
26. Abd El-Kader, M., & Taha, R. I. (2020). Comparative nephroprotective effects of curcumin and etoricoxib against cisplatin-induced acute kidney injury in rats. Acta Histochemica, 122(4), 151534.
27. Kim, Y. J., Lee, M. Y., Son, H. Y., Park, B. K., Ryu, S. Y., & Jung, J. Y. (2014). Red ginseng ameliorates acute cisplatin-induced nephropathy. Planta medica, 80(08/09), 645-654.
28. Qi, R., & Yang, C. (2018). Renal tubular epithelial cells: the neglected mediator of tubulointerstitial fibrosis after injury. Cell death & disease, 9(11), 1-11.
29. Tlili, N., Feriani, A., Saadoui, E., Nasri, N., & Khaldi, A. (2017). Capparis spinosa leaves extract: source of bioantioxidants with nephroprotective and hepatoprotective effects. Biomedicine & Pharmacotherapy, 87, 171-179.
30. Pires, T. C., Barros, L., Santos-Buelga, C., & Ferreira, I. C. (2019). Edible flowers: Emerging components in the diet. Trends in Food Science & Technology, 93, 244-258.
31. Gismondi, A., Di Marco, G., Canuti, L., & Canini, A. (2017). Antiradical activity of phenolic metabolites extracted from grapes of white and red Vitis vinifera L. cultivars. VITIS-Journal of Grapevine Research, 56(1), 19-26.
32. Pan, P. H., Lin, S. Y., Wang, Y. Y., Chen, W. Y., Chuang, Y. H., Wu, C. C., & Chen, C. J. (2014). Protective effects of rutin on liver injury induced by biliary obstruction in rats. Free Radical Biology and Medicine, 73, 106-116.