Biochemical and Histopathological Effects Induced by Methimazole in Rats Treated by vitamin C
In order to investigate some biochemical and histopathological changes effects of Methimazole (ME)in rats twenty-eight white female rats were equally divided into four target groups, (ME) The 1st group, was given sterile saline (0.9%) and served as a control (c). The 2nd group, was given Methimazole at dose 0.04 mg/kg B.W. orally (positive control). The 3rd group, was given Methimazole at dose 0.04 mg/kg B.W. and Vitamin C 200 mg/kg B.W. orally. The 4th group, was given only Vitamin C 200 mg/kg B.W. orally. Results aimed in the present study on the effect of Methimazole at daily intake doses to investigate possible adverse effects and modulate its possible mechanism by measuring the oxidant and antioxidant impact in brain and Ameliorative trail of vit. C. Vit C antioxidant, such as super oxide, increase super oxide elimination. examination revealed that the (ME) histopathological figures showed very small size thyroid gland that displayed atrophy, composed numerous small size follicles with normal follicular cells and C-cells. Study concludes, (vit c) can decreased thyroid damage caused by oxidative effects triggered by (ME) and linked to their antioxidant effects.
2. Akin F, Yaylali GF, Bastemir M, Yapar B.Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis. 2008 Effect of methimazole on warfarin anticoagulation in a case of Graves' disease. Jan; 19(1):89-91
3. Deshpande UR, Joseph LJ, Patwardhan UN, Samuel AM. Effect of antioxidants (vitamin C, E and turmeric extract) on methimazole induced hypothyroidism in rats. Indian J Exp Biol. 2002 Jun;40(6):735-8. PMID: 12587721.
4. Ennas Mohamed Majhwol and Wejdan Matrood Kadhem 2018. 1,2 Dept. Biology, College of Education University of Al-Qadisiyah, Iraq
5. Fouad El dabbah2; Ashraf Hassan2; Ahmed Elshoura3; Nasser Omar4.Histopathological And Biochemical Study of Toxic Effects of The Chronic Administration of Bisphenol A On The pituitary and Thyroid Glands Of Adult Albino Rats. 19, Volume 3, Issue 2, February 2022, Page 112-116.
6. Hejazian, S. M., Khatibi, S. M. H., Barzegari, A., Pavon-Djavid, G., Soofiyani, S. R., Hassannejhad, S. & Vahed, S. Z. (2021). Nrf-2 as a therapeutic target in acute kidney injury. Life sciences, 264, 118581.
7. Hussein D.K. (2022). Determination of the Level of IL-6 and Vaspin in Hyperthyroid Patients Treated with Carbimazole. Iraqi Journal of Science, 63(5), 1909-1917.
8. Marriott MP, Birt DF, Stallings VA, Yates AA, eds. (2020). "Vitamin C". Present Knowledge in Nutrition, Eleventh Edition. London, United Kingdom: Academic Press (Elsevier).
9. Melike Erkan Yasemin Aydin Banu Orta Yilmaz Nebahat Yildizbayrak. Chapter 42 - Protective effects of vitamin C against fluoride toxicity. Toxicology Oxidative Stress and Dietary Antioxidants .2021, Pages 435-445
10. Melina Sabana, Melisa Costillab, Alicia Juana Klechab Mariana Di Cugnoa Marina, Inés Curriaa Graciela Cremaschib María, Laura Barreiro Arcos (2021) Regulation of the cellular redox state and the expression of DNA methyltransferase-1 in peripheral blood mononuclear cells from patients with Graves’ disease Regulación del estado redox celular y la expresión de ADN metiltransferasa-1 en células mononucleares de sangre periférica de pacientes con enfermedad de Graves Endocrinología, Diabetes y Nutrición (English ed.) Volume 69, Issue 6, June–July 2022, Pages 409-417.
11. Ozcan, A., & Ogun, M. (2015). Biochemistry of reactive oxygen and nitrogen species. Basic principles and clinical significance of oxidative stress, 3, 37-58. epithelial Cells. International journal of canAEr, 123(6), 1262-1268.
12. Takata K, Kubota S, Fukata S, Kudo T, Nishihara E, Ito M, Amino N, Miyauchi A. Methimazole-induced agranulocytosis in patients with Graves' disease is more frequent with an initial dose of 30 mg daily than with 15 mg daily. Thyroid. 2009 Jun;19(6):559-63.
13. Taso, O. V., Philippou, A., Moustogiannis, A., Zevolis, E., & Koutsilieris, M. (2019). Lipid peroxidation products and their role in neurodegenerative diseases. Ann. Res. Hosp, 3(2).