Effect of growth regulators on the morphological traits of three potato cultivars in vitro
The experiments were conducted to study the effect of sub cultures (3 sub-cultures) of in vitro propagated plants of three cultivars of potato (Arnova, Riviera and Provento) and their interaction with Indole Acetic acid (IAA) at 0.0 , 1.0 mg L-1 and Benzyl Adenine ( BA) at 0.0, 0.5, 1.0 and 2.0 mg L-1 concentrations on morphological traits of vegetative (plant height, number of shoots, leaves , nodes and length of shoots) and roots (number of roots and their lengths) system. The cultures were incubated under temperature of 25 ± 2°C and illumination for 16 h day-1. The plants were transferred to the greenhouse and data were taken on the number of minitubers, their diameter and weight after 90 days. The results showed the effectiveness of IAA at 1 mg L-1 increasing in plant height (16.06 and 14.83 cm for Rivera and Provento cultivars, respectively), and in number of leaves and nodes (18.08 leaf plant-1 for Rivera and 16.92 nod plant -1 for Provento), and the number of roots and their length. (11.25 root plant-1 and 11.25 cm for Rivera and Arnova cultivar, respectively). The results also showed the effectiveness of the combination of IAA (1 mg L-1 ) + BA (0.5 mg L-1 ) increasing the number and length of shoots (6.50 shoot plant-1 and 4.83 cm for Provento and Rivera cultivar). A decrease in the number of roots was also observed with increasing concentrations of BA which added to the medium with or without of IAA. Results also recorded the highest average of diameter and weight of minitubers was 8.63 cm and 3.64 g for the mother plants of the Riviera and Provento cultivars, respectively, while the mother plants and in vitro propagated plants of three cultivars did not differ in the average number of minitubers.
2. Al-Hussaini, Zainab Abdul-Jabbar Hussein. 2016 .The Employment of genetic variations in Potato (Solanum tuberosum L.) to improve salinity. PhD thesis. faculty of Agriculture. University of Kufa. Iraq
3. AL-Khazali, Sarah Raed Khalaf. 2016. Effect of growth regulators on callus induction and regeneration of the stock citrus Vulcamariana in vitro. Mse, College of Agriculture, University of Baghdad. Iraq.
4. Al-Salihi, Ali Abdul-Amir Mahdi. 2002. Sensitivity of potato Solanum tuberosum L. in vitro propagated to gamma rays. PhD thesis. faculty of Agriculture. Baghdad University. Iraq.
5. Al-Tikriti, Shatha Ayed Yousif. 2002. Evaluation and regeneration of salt-tolerant rice plants using different techniques. PhD thesis. faculty of Agriculture. Baghdad University. Iraq.
6. Chandra, S., Bandopadhyay, R., Kumar, V., Chandra, R., 2010: Acclimatization of tissue cultured plantlets: from laboratory to land. Biotech. Lett. 32, 1199-1205.
7. Delloloio, R. 2007. Cytokines determine Arabidopsis thaliana root meristem size by controlling cell differentiation, Curr. Biol. 17: 678–682.
8. George, E. F.; M. A. Hall and G. J. De Klerk .2008. Plant Propagation by Tissue Culture. Volume 1. The Background, 3rd Edition, Published by Springer, Dordrecht, The Netherlands.
9. Hartmann, H. J.; D. E. Kester; R. L. Geneve; and J. F. T. Davies.1997. Plant Propagation: Principles and Practices. 6th ed., Prentice – Hall Inc., New Jersey, USA.
10. Morais,T.P. ASMAR. S.A., Silva, H.F.J.,; LUZ., J.M.Q., and ; Berildo ., M. 2018. Application of tissue culture technique in Potato. Biosci. J., Uberlândia, vol (34), n0(4). p. 952-969,
11. Murashige, T. and Skoog, T. 1962. A revised medium for rapid growth and bioassays with tobacco tissue cultures. Physiol Plant., 15: 473-479.
12. Nadia, Issaad and Adela, Elmi. 2018. Regenerative Biology of Plants. Micropropagation technique of Solanumtuberosum L. (Bartina and Kondor) potato cultivars under salt stress. Master Thesis. College of Natural and Life Sciences. University Brothers Mentouri and Constantine. Algeria.
13. Otroshy M, 2006. Utilization of tissue culture techniques in a seed potato tuber production scheme. 2-230
14. Rezadost, M. H.; M. M. Sohani,; A. Hatamzadeh and M. R. Mirzaii. 2013. In vitro regeneration of sour orange (Citrus aurantiumL.) via direct organogenesis. Plant Sci., 168: 583–591.
15. Sharifi, Muhammad Jaber Hassan. 2020. Effect of Light Sources, Nano-Iron and Zinc on Microtubers Production of Potato under Different CultureSystems. . PhD thesis. faculty of Agriculture. University of Kufa. Iraq.
16. Singh, B. and A. Kaur. 2011. Comparison of Agar and Gum Karaya as Gelling Agent for in vitro Regeneration of Rough Lemon (Citrus jambhiriLush.) Plantlets from Nodal Explants. J.Crop Sci . Biotech.14 (4):297-303.
17. Smulders. M. J. M. and • G. J. de Klerk.2011. Epigenetics in plant tissue culture. Plant Growth Regul. 63:137–146
18. Taiz, L. and E. Zeiger.(2010. Plant Physiology, 5th edition. Sinauer Associates Inc., Sunderland. 621 pages.
19. Teixeira, J., Hossain, M.M., Sharma, M., Dobránszki, J., Cardoso, J.C., Songjun, Z., 2017. Acclimatization of in vitro-derived Dendrobium. Hort. Plant J. 3, 110-124.
20. Wang, B., Y. Ma, Z. Zhang, Z. Wu, Y. Wu, Q. Wang, and M. Li. 2011. Potato viruses in China. Crop Protection 30 (9): 1117–1123.
21. Zahlout, Hanadi. 2006. plant hormones. Arab House for Publishing and Distribution, first edition, Beirut, Lebanon.