Histomorphological Study of the Small Intestine of the European Starling (Sturnus Vulgaris) in Basrah Province
Five European starlings (Sturnus vulgaris), which are necessary for this study, were procured from Basrah city. Two anatomical and histological studies were performed on each bird. Duodenum, jejunum, and ileum formed the small intestine's three parts. The ileum was short, the jejunum was large, and the duodenum was U-shaped. We will measure the weight and length, and calculate the ratio of length to weight for the small intestine/bird (IL/BL%) and (IW/BW%) . The small intestine has four tunicae; the mucosa covering with simple columnar cells with goblet cells, which has an oval shape. The mucosa layer descends in thickness from the duodenum to the ileum, whereas the goblet cells will be increased in number in the ileum than in the jejunum and duodenum. We note the difference in the lengths and diameters of the villi in the three parts , where the highest lengths are in the duodenum and the lowest in the ileum
2. AL Sheshani, A. S. Y. (2006): Anatomical and histological comparative study of alimentary tract in two types of bird's grainivorous bird, (Columba livia Gmelin, 1789) and carnivorous bird, (Accipiter nisus Linnaeus, 1758). M.Sc. Thesis, University of Tikrit. Pp.78.
3. Haifa A. Hussein, Nadhim A.Shehan, Hanan A. Salman, and Sameera A.Da'aj.(2020). Histological and histochemical studies of the stomach of falcon of the Iraqi falcon ( falcon berogora ). Plant Archives(20), (2) pp. 807-811
4. Adel J. Hussein , Haifa A. Hussein and Hasham Khirullah Abdulzahra. Amorphological and Histological study of the liver and pancreas of small indian mongoose (Herpestes Javanicus). Basrah Journal of Veterinary Research,(17) No.3,2018
5. McLelland J. Avian Digestive System. In Form and Function of Birds. (Edt.) A.S. King and J. McLelland, Academic Press, London. 1979; 1:101-131
6. Nada Ahmed Al-Shaheen , Adel Jabbar Hussein (2020). . MORPHO-HISTOLOGICAL AND HISTOCHEMICAL STUDY OF THE GALL BLADDER OF WHITE – EARED BULBUL (Pycnonotus leucotis), Bas.J.Vet.Res., 19 (1): 10 – 30.
7. Eman Sami Jassem ,Adel J. Hussein and Alaa A. Sawad . ANATOMICAL ,HISTOLOGICAL AND HISTOCHEMICAL STUDY OF THE PROVENTRICULUS OF COMMON MOORHEN (GALLINULA CHLOROPUS). Bas.J.Vet.Res.Vol.14,No.4,2016.
8. Adel J. Hussein , Haifa A. Hussein and Hasham Khirullah Abdulzahra. Amorphological and Histological study of the liver and pancreas of small indian mongoose (Herpestes Javanicus). Basrah Journal of Veterinary Research,(17) No.3,2018
9. Majeed, M. F. , F.S. Al- Asadi, , A. N. Al. Nassir., and E. H. Rahi. THE MORPHOLOGICAL AND HISTOLOGICAL STUDY OF THE CAECUM IN BROILER CHICKEN. Bas.J.Vet.Res.Vol.8,No.1,2009.
10. Kadhim, K.K.; Zuki, A.; Noordin, M.; Babjee, S. and Zamri- Saad, M. (2011). Activities of amylase, trypsin and chymotrypsin of pancreas and small intestinal contents in the red jungle fowl and broiler breed. African Journal of Biotechnology, 10(1): 108-115.
11. Yamauchi, K.E., Incharoen, T. and Yamauchi, K., (2010): The relationship between intestinal histology and function as shown by compensatory enlargement of remnant villi after mid-gut resection in chickens. Anat. J. Rec., 293.
12. Caviedes-Vidal, E. & Karasov, W.H. (2001):Developmental changes in digestive physiology of Nestling House Sparrows, Passer domesticus. Physiol. Biochem. Zool., 74(5): 769-782.