Some genetic and non-genetic factors affecting a number of carcass characteristics in sheep
This study was conducted in one of the animal islands stores (private sector) in Suq Al-Shuyoukh district, south of Dhi Qar Governorate, for the period from 5/11/2021 to 8/5/2022 on a sample of 49 local Iraqi sheep (Orabi). The experiment included Slaughtering sheep in the butcher’s shop and studying some characteristics of the carcass and taking a sample of meat for the purpose of calculating some of the chemical properties of the meat samples. It was found that the age of the animal had a significant and clear effect on most of the studied traits, while the animal’s sex had no significant effect in all the studied traits. A significant effect was observed in the color of the wool In each of the characteristics of the percentage of dressing, water carrying capacity and the index of fiber breakage in meat. The results showed the selection of red and black sheep for the characteristics of water carrying capacity and the evidence of fiber breakage, and the selection of sheep of black and white colors for the characteristic of the clearing ratio.
2. Attken , A., Cacey, C. J., Penny, I. F. and Volye, C. A.1967. Effect of drying temperature in the accelerated freeze dried Pork. J. Sci Food Agric., 13: 439.
3. B Tiesnamurti Anwar, A Destomo and A Febresiana (2021).Coat cover characteristics of sheep in North Sumatera, Indonesia.Email: doi:firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. Davis , G. W. ; Duston , T. R. ; Smith , G. C. and Carpenter , Z. L. (1980) .Fragmentation procedure for bovine Longissimus muscle as an index of cooked steak tenderness. J. Food Sci., 45:880-884.
5. Denhertog-Meischke, M. J. A.; Smulderes, F. J. M. and Vanknapen, F. 1997. The effect of electrical stimulation on the water holding capacity and protein denaturation of two bovine muscles. J. Anim. Sci.75: 118-124.
6. Duncan, D.B. (1955). Multiple Range and Multiple F tests. Biometrics, 11:1.
7. F. Peña; T. Cano; V. Domenech; Ma.J. Alcalde; J. Martos; A. García-Martinez; M. Herrera; E. Rodero (2005). Influence of sex, slaughter weight and carcass weight on “non-carcass” and carcass quality in segureña lambs. , 60(3), 247–254. doi:10.1016/j.smallrumres.2004.12.011
8. H Vergara; A Molina; L Gallego (1999). Influence of sex and slaughter weight on carcass and meat quality in light and medium weight lambs produced in intensive systems. , 52(2), 0–226. doi:10.1016/s0309-1740(98)00171-5
9. Herring, H.K., Cassens, R.G. and Briskey, E.J. 1965. Further studies on bovine muscle tenderness as influenced by carcass position, sarcomere length, and fiber diameter. J.Food Sci, 30: 1049-1054.
10. Ibrahim, Wafaa Ismail, Ghali Ali, (2017). Effect of genetic modulation of the calypstatin gene and age On the freshness of the local Awassi sheep meat. College of Agriculture \ University of Baghdad \ Iraq Ministry of Agriculture.
11. Jayed, Talib Ahmed, and Mortada Farag (2008): Effect of different body sizes on reproductive efficiency. For Arabian ewes, Basra Research Journal, Issue 34
12. Jeremiah, L. E. , and A. H. Martin , 1977. The influence of sex, within breed-of-sire groups, upon the histological properties of bovine longissimus dorsi muscle during postmortem aging. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 57:7-14.
13. Mahala. S., Saini, S., Kumar, A., Prince, L.L.L., & Gowane, G.R. (2019). Effect of non-genetic factors on growth traits of Avikalin sheep. Small Rumi. Res., 174, 47-52.
14. Majid, S. A., Al-Murani, W.K., Alkass, J. E. and Al-Rawi, A.A. (2003).Iraqi country report to the FAO, for the state of the worlds Animal Genetic Resources, FAO, Rome
15. Momoh, O. M., Rotimi, E. A., & Dim, N. I. (2013). Breed effect and non-genetic factors affecting growth performance of sheep in semi-arid region of Nigeria. J. Appl. Biosci., 67, 5302-5307.
16. R Kremer; G Barbato; L Castro; L Rista; L Rosés; V Herrera; V Neirotti (2004). Effect of sire breed, year, sex and weight on carcass characteristics of lambs. , 53(1-2), 117–124. doi:10.1016/j.smallrumres.2003.09.002